Current time: 06-05-2024, 19:33 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Should I go wireless or not? [ANSWERS]
19-06-2011, 01:08 (This post was last modified: 23-06-2011 02:18 by Kenwood.)
Should I go wireless or not? [ANSWERS]
This can be useful for general advice if I get an answer, and I would add them to this OP.

So, the story behind this is that I want to move my desktop computer to another room in my house. It is currently connected via Ethernet about 8 feet from the router in my living room. I want to move it to a media room upstairs where it is difficult to connect the router (its a dsl phone line router) due to no phone line in that room.

I have several options:

• Purchase a USB/PCI wifi connector with the router in original place about 30 feet with walls away from the destination.

• Move the router to a closer room on the same floor that has a phone line (still like 15 feet away with fewer walls) and:
A: connect via wifi
B: find a way to hide the Ethernet cable from one room to another (good luck!)

• put the router in the kitchen right below the media room and
A: snake the cable through to the garage right next to the kitchen and snake it up to the media room through the window
B: connect via wifi though just the floor (no/minimal insulation between floors, hardwood flooring) about 6-8 feet away

• I'll stab you in the sleep if you choose this one: don't move the computer and keep everything just like it is now.

—————

What would you do, and what advice would you have about this.

So, should I go wireless or not?

Thread moved.
~ Cola

[FINAL ANSWER PORTION]
Last updated 6/22/11

Should you go wireless or not?

In my opinion, you are better off with a wired connection for three major reasons:

- Strong, steady connection
- Maximum security
- Maximum speed

If you do choose/need to access the Internet via a wireless connection then ensure you have:

- A "N" router for max speed, strongest connection
- WPA2 or WPA2-PSK security since WEP and WPA are easy to crack, according to Johan
- A good receiver built into your laptop, or a good USB/PCI card for your desktop

When all is said and done, stay with wired for maximum speed, connection, and security.

(English class thesis statements FTW)

-Kenwood HeadphonesHeadphonesWestsideHeadphonesHeadphones

Currently cheating on TT with SO...don't tell KaraK pls
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Should I go wireless or not? [ANSWERS] - Kenwood - 19-06-2011 01:08